- Read the case
study (Oncores, or go to Moodle for a copy) and explain the various clinical findings
in detailed biochemical terms, as requested below.
This case study requires some thought and a
medical dictionary, but its a lot of fun. The level of
detail on your "metabolic interactions" handout gives a basis for amino acid metabolism. You should start there and build as/if necessary.
Answer the questions below:
- Why is the patient so liable to hypoglycemia?
- Does glucose result in hypoglycemia?
- Why do both fructose and glycerol produce
- Would you expect amino acid metabolism to
be affected by her condition?
- Does does her condition mimic fasting,
overeating, or normal feeding (think)?
- How and why?
- Why is she getting fat deposition in her
- What is/are the metabolic source/s of this fat?
a thorough, "all encompassing" picture of sources (e.g. fat from adipose, dietary glucose, dietary protein, etc.) and
- Why is she so subject to acidosis?
- What compounds would you expect are contributing
to the acidosis?
- To what cause(s) can you attribute the change in carbon dioxide concentration?
©R A Paselk
Last modified 11 March 2009