Chem 328 Lecture Notes, Summer 2004
These are the notes
I use to present my lectures. They are here for the convenience
of my students. They are unedited and thus liable to error. The
expansions and corrections I put in during my lectures are not
included. If you find errors in these notes, please inform me
ASAP via e-mail: rap1 @
You must have the font "Symbol" installed
for your browser to display all of the equations in some pages
- Lecture 1; 1 June: Introduction;
Review - Atoms, Bonding, and Lewis Structures.
- Lecture 2; 2 June: Review -
VSEPR Theory, Polarity, and Hybid Orbitals.
- Lecture 3; 3 June: Review -
Acids and Bases
- Lecture 4; 4 June: Lewis Acids;
Introduction to Alkanes; IUPAC Nomenclature.
- Lecture 5; 7 June: Alkanes and
Cycloalkanes - Conformations; Chemical and Physical Properties.
- Lecture 6; 8 June: Alkanes cont.
- Chemistry and Sources; Stereochemistry - Chirality and Chiral
Molecules. UPDATED, 6/9/04
- Lecture 7; 9 June: Stereochemistry
cont. - D,L System; Molecules with Multiple Chiral Centers.
- Lecture 8; 10 June: Physical
and Chemical Properties of Stereoisomers; Alkenes and Alkynes
- Nomenclature, Structure, and Isomerism.
- Lecture 9; 11 June: Organic
Reactions - Introduction; Reaction Mechanisms, Alkene Addition
Reaction; Alkene Chemistry, HX and HOH Addition Reactions.
- Lecture 10; 14 June: Alkene
Reactions - Addition of Halogens; Hydrogenation; Oxidation; Chirality
of Addition Products; Elimination Reactions. UPDATED,
- Lecture 11; 15 June: Haloalkanes;
Substitution Reactions - the SN2 Mechanism.
- Lecture 12; 16 June: Reaction
Mechanisms - Substitution and Elimination; Alcohols, Ethers and
- Lecture 13; 17 June: Alcohols,
Ethers and Thiols 3 - Nomenclature and Properties, cont.; Alcohol
- Lecture 14; 21 June: Alcohol
and Ether Chemistry, cont.
- Lecture 15; 22 June: Thiol and
Sulfide Chemistry; Aromatic (Benzene) Compounds - What is Benzene?
Nomenclature; Phenols - Nomenclature, Properties and Chemistry.
- Lecture 16; 22 June: Benzene
Chemistry - Oxidation; Electrophilic Substitution; Substituent
Effects on Substitution Reactions.
- Lecture 17; 29 June: Amines.
- Lecture 18; 29 June: Carbonyl
Compounds; Aldehydes and Ketones - Nomenclature, Properties and
- Lecture 19; 30 June: Aldehyde
and Ketone Chemistry, cont.: Tautomerization; Oxidation; Reduction;
Grignard Reagents. Carboxylic Acid Nomenclature.
- Lecture 20; 1 July: Carboxylic
Acids - Aromatic Nomenclature; Physical Properties; Synthesis;
- Lecture 21; 6 July: Carboxylic
Acid Reactions, cont.; Carboxylic Acid Derivatives - Nomenclature;
- Lecture 22; 6 July: Carboxylic
Acid Derivative Chemistry, cont.; Enol and Enolate Chemistry.
- Lecture 23; 7 July: Condensation
Reactions; Introduction to Carbohydrates.
- Lecture 24; 8 July: LAST LECTURE
- Carbohydrates, cont. Amino Acids and Peptides
Last modified 8 July 2004