Two common "definitions" for Science:
- The body of knowledge and rules/laws/theories we have discovered regarding the natural world.
- The method of discovery and confirmation used by scientists. Classically we describe this process as the "Scientific Method" summarized in the steps below:
- Identify a problem based on initial observations
- Make a hypothesis (a tentative, testable, explanation of the observations)
- Collect data via planned Observations and/or Experiments ("asking nature a question")
- "Clean" simple experiments vs. statistical inference
- Controls - everything the same except the variable of interest.
- Analyze and Evaluate results - modify hypothesis if necessary, and repeat data collections etc.
- Create a theory (an explanation of observations consistant with results of experiments etc.)
- The theory is a "model of reality"
© R A Paselk
Last modified 23 January 2009