Chem 107 Lecture Notes
These are the notes I am using to present
my lectures. They are here for the convenience of my students.
They are unedited and thus liable to error. The expansions and
corrections I put in during my lectures are not included. Use
them at your own risk!
If you find errors in my notes, please inform me ASAP via e-mail:
rap1 @ axe.humboldt.edu
- Lecture 1, 25 August: Introduction
- Lecture 2, 27 August: What is Chemistry; Matter; Measurement: Precision vs. Accuracy, Significan Figures.
- Lecture 3, 1 September: Conservation Laws; Composition of Matter, SI Units.
- Lecture 4, 3 September: Dimensional Analysis and Problem Solving; Atoms and Atomic Structure. Lecture 4_slide
- Lecture 5, 8 September: Atomic Structure and Isotopes; Chemical Periodicity. Lecture 5_slide
- Lecture 6, 10 September: Chemical Nomenclature.
- Lecture 7, 15 September: Chemical Nomenclature, cont.; Expressing and Determining Concentration, Moles and Molarity.
- Lecture 8, 17 September: Moles and Molarity, conc.; Determination of Formulae; Solutions and Solution Concentration.
- Lecture 9, 22 September: Solution Concentrations, cont; Chemical Reactions, Equations and Net ionic Equations.
- Lecture 10, 24 September: Chemical Reactions, cont.: Net ionic Equations, Oxidation Reduction Equations; Theoretical Yields.
- Lecture 11, 24 September: Chemical Reactions, cont.: Limiting Reactions, Percent Yield; Predicting Chemical Reactions; Energy Changes in Chemical Reactions. Lecture 11_slide
- Lecture 12, 24 September: Energy Changes in Chemical Reactions, cont. - Enthalpy and Calorimetry.
- Lecture 13, 13 October: Electrons in Atoms, Spectra and Atomic Models.Lecture 13_slide
- Lecture 14, 15 October: Electrons in Atoms, cont.; Electronic Configurations; .Lecture 14_slide ; Lecture 14trnd_slide
- Lecture 15, 20 October: Chemical Bonds; Electronegativity; Ionic Bonds; Lewis Structures; Covalent Bonds. Lecture 15_slide
- Lecture 16, 22 October: Molecular Geometry, VSEPR Theory; Polarity. Lecture 16_slide
- Lecture 17, 27 October: Gases and Gas Laws. Lecture 17_slide
- Lecture 18, 29 October: Gas Laws, cont.; Kinetic Molecular Theory of Gases. Lecture 18_slide
- Lecture 19, 29 October: Liquids ans Solids; Water. Lecture 19_slide
- Lecture 20, 3 November: Water, cont.; Solids & Crystals; Solution Problem Review. Lecture 20_slide
- Lecture 21, 17 November: Solution Concentration; Solutions. Video
- Lecture 22, 19 November: Reaction Rates; Introduction to Equilibrium -Le Chatelier's Principle.
Lecture 20a_slide Lecture 22_slide
- Lecture 23, 1 December: The Equilibruim and Mass Action Expressions; Equilibrium Problems.
- Lecture 24, 3 December: Acids and Bases; Aqueous Hydrogen Ion Concentration and pH
- Lecture 25, 8 December: Acid/Base Equilibria - pH of weak acid solutions, Buffers & Buffer Calculations; the Henderson-Hassselbalch Equation; Assigning Oxidation Numbers.
- Lecture 26, 10 December: Redox Reactions. Lecture 26_slide
Last modified 10 December 2009