At Forty-Second Annual State
of Jefferson Mathematics Congress October 5, 2013
Professor Emeritus of Mathematics
Jan./Feb. Visitor to Institute for Mathematics and Education, University of Arizona.
March/April: Travel and visits to England. ATM Conference and visits to Cambridge and Loughborough University.
out about the Sensible Calculus Program
Mapping Diagrams from A(lgebra)
B(asics) to C(alculus) and D(ifferential) E(quation)s. A Reference and Resource Book on Function Visualizations
Using Mapping Diagrams (In Development-Draft Version 12-2013)
(and not so Recent - back to 2011) Stuff
- Links to Sept./Oct. 2016 Presentations: Lecture Tour of Oregon, Washington, & Idaho
- Links to Presentations"Using Mapping Diagrams to Make Sense of Functions and Equations" ATM 2016 Conference, March 31, 2016,Warwick, England,
- "Mapping Diagrams for Complex Variable Functions Visualized Dynamically with GeoGebra" ICTCM 2016 March 12, 2016, Atlanta, GA.
- "Complex Variables: Mapping Diagrams for Visualizing Complex Arithmetic and Functions Dynamically with GeoGebra" HSU Mathematics Department Colloquium, March 3, 2016
- "Visualizing Complex Variable Functions with Mapping Diagrams: Linear Fractional Transformations." MAA Contributed Paper Session on Revitalizing Complex Analysis, Jan.9, 2016.
- What Place Does Philosophy Have in Teaching Mathematics? Preliminary report (pdf). POMSIGMAA Contributed Paper Session on Using Philosophy to Teach Mathematics, Jan. 7, 2016.
- "Making Sense of Calculus with Mapping Diagrams", JMM, MAA Minicourse #7 Jan 7 and 9, 2016, (LINKS)
- "Making Sense of Solving Linear and Quadratic Equations with Mapping Diagrams",CMC3 Conference, Monterey, CA, December 12, 2015 (Links)
- "Equations, Functions, and Mapping Diagrams in Common Core" , CMC North Conference, Pacific Grove, CA, December 12, 2015 (Links)
- "Mapping Diagrams Take on Calculus and Complex Variables" HSU Mathematics Department Colloquium, Feb. 5, 2015
- "Using Mapping Diagrams to Understand Linear Functions",UC Davis Math Project Saturday Series 2014-15,November 1, 2014 (Links)
"The Role of Philosophy in Proof:Euclid's Proof of Proposition One."
- "Do You Want Your Students To Write Proofs? Suggestions to
Improve Writing Proofs." Project NExT Panel at MathFest, August 6, 2014. (Link to presentation)
- Introduction to Sensible Calculus: A Thematic Approach, The Anja S. Greer Conference on Mathematics, Science and Technology
June 22 - June 27, 2014 (Links to presentations and materials)
- "Functions, Duality, and Mapping Diagrams", UC Davis Math Club Presentation, May 22, 2014.
Webinar, "Using Mapping Diagrams to Understand
Trigonometric Functions" April 10, 2014.
, Folsom Lake Math Club March 19, 2014 YouTube (30 minutes)
"A Sensible Approach to Calculus: Differential Equations, Estimation, and Modelling in The Fundamental Theorem."
,Sacramento Valley Community College Mathematics Conference, March 15, 2014 (pdf) YouTube Part I YouTube Part II
Role of Philosophy in Proofs",HSU
Colloquium, Feb 27, 2014 . YouTube (30
Sense of Series and Sequences in The First Calculus Course."JMM,
Baltimore, MD. January 18, 2014 (pdf)
Duality, and Mapping Diagrams" Folsom Lake College Math
Club Presentation, Dec. 11, 2013, Folsom, CA.
Linearity:Alternatives to Lines and Planes"
Sacramento City College, Dec. 10, 2013.
Duality, and Mapping Diagrams" Howard University
Presentation, December 2, 2013, Washington, DC.
to Drive Technology in the 21st Century" (html),
™(YouTube Video) (CBM) Education
Summit, UNICEF, NYC, Nov.22 ,2013.
Duality, and Mapping Diagrams" Forty-Second Annual State
of Jefferson Mathematics Congress October 5, 2013, Orick, CA
"Logic is Not
Epistemology:Should Philosophy Play a Larger Role in Learning
about Proofs?" MathFest, Hartford, CT, August 2, 2013
Simple Proof of the Classification of Conics by the
Discriminant ," MathFest, Hartford, CT,
August 2, 2013
Examples to Illuminate Unification, Generalization, and
Abstraction." HSU Colloquium, March 28, 2013
an Introduction to Proofs Course Understanding the Problem:
Unification, Generalization or Abstraction?" JMM. San
Diego, January 10, 2013 (pdf)
Benefits of A Habit: Examining Evidence to Understand
Statements and Proofs." JMM. San Diego,
January 12, 2013 (pdf)
from Newton" (pdf)
HPM, Berkeley, CA 10-28-2012
Workshop Materials:(1) Mapping Diagrams and (2) Sensible
Calculus, July, 2012
Roots: Adding Philosophical Contexts and Issues to Enhance
Understanding." JMM, New Orleans, January 8, 2011 (pdf)
Different Approaches to Getting Students Involved in Writing
Proofs ." JMM, New Orleans, January 07, 2011 (pdf)
Personal Stuff: A resume.(pdf) ;
A biographical sketch.
HSU Pre-Law Advising
Homepage [I am one of the HSU Pre-Law
POM SIGMAA (Philosophy of
Find out more about this Special
Interest Group of the MAA.
(History of Mathematics)
Find out more about
this Special Interest Group of the MAA.
*WORK IN PROGRESS
This site is still under
Links are being reconfigured and some are inactive or
Older pages need reworking to be made handicapped
Links starting with "www.humboldt.edu/~mef2" are being
readdressed as needed with "users.humboldt.edu/flashman"
I continue to work on this.